The mission of the Hinds County Circuit Drug Court is to reduce crime and enhance public safety by providing a Judicially-monitored treatment regimen, and intensive supervision to substance abusing offenders, thereby providing a cost-effective alternative to incarceration and enhancing family and community values.
Drug courts are special courts given the responsibility to handle cases involving substance-abusing offenders through comprehensive supervision, drug testing, treatment services and Immediate sanctions and incentives.
- Provide treatment as an alternative to incarceration
- Encourage a support system with family involvement
- Reduce criminal activities among drug a busing offenders
- Reintegrate the offender back into society as a drug free law abiding tax paying citizen
- Non-violent felon offenders
- Age 17 and older with medium to high level of alcohol or drug use
- Must be eligible under Mississippi law to be placed in a non-adjudicated status or receive a suspended sentence; not included are the severely mentally Impaired
- No persons are eligible who are charged with committing violent crimes, or those involving the sale, or possession with intent to sell or transfer controlled substances
- Some property crimes will be eligible on a case-by-case basis if the offense relates to drug addiction
Drug Court Judge
Honorable Winston Kidd
Jeffrey S. Vernon